Good Contrivance Farm Residencies
At the Barn Loft and Hen House Cottage
All proceeds go to the support of our 501-C3 non-profit, focused on the restoration of Good Contrivance Farm as part of our mission to promote the preservation and restoration of historic family farms.
Good Contrivance Farm comprises six-acres that contain a large kitchen garden, a chicken run, many historic outbuildings, open fields, many lovely flower beds, and many places to sit and relax. The farm is conveniently located near major shopping areas and highways and is 35 minutes from BWI airport.
The Barn Loft is a spacious loft-style apartment with a large open living room, dining area & kitchen on the first level. Wood burning stove in living room (wood available locally). Radiant heat on first floor and two ceiling fans. It includes modern kitchen with stainless stove, fridge, and dishwasher — but no garbage disposal, as we’re on a septic system. A new bathroom with a stackable washer and dryer on first floor. Library on 2nd floor loft area. Bedroom with antique double bed and 1/2 bath on 3rd floor. Bedroom has a split AC/heating unit. There is a small balcony overlooking a walled flower garden.
Rates (for two persons):
per night: $139. Minimum: 2-night stay.
one week: $817.
one month: $2,710.
Cleaning fee: $45.
Maximum occupancy: 4 persons.
Add $25 per person each night if your party exceeds two.
You can make a reservation by using the form at the bottom of the page.
The Hen House Cottage has great light throughout the day, a well-equipped kitchen (microwave, oven, coffee grinder, coffee maker, large fridge, etc.), a full bathroom (with shower), a sleeping area with a comfortable queen-sized bed, dedicated (free) wi-fi, a smart TV, blue tooth sound system, and an eclectic library. Linens and towels are provided. The Cottage is situated adjacent to the farm house, with rear views of the orchard.
per night: $95. Minimum: 2-night stay.
one week: $550.
one month: $1925.
cleaning fee: $25.
single occupancy only (no exceptions)
You can make a reservation by using the form at the bottom of the page.
Hen House Cottage
- One-half payment must be made upon making your reservation. The second half must be paid three weeks before your stay (credit card or Paypal).
- Upon making your reservation, we will hold the dates for 48 hours until we receive your (half-payment) deposit.
- Residency check-in is 3:00 PM. Check out is 11:00 AM.
- Cancellation policy for stays under a week:
cancellation must be made no later than 72 hours before your scheduled reservation. Late cancellation of a reservation (within 72 hours of the reservation) will forfeit one day’s rental fee.
- Cancellation policy for stays of a week or more:
For stays of one week, you must notify us of cancellation at least one week prior;For stays of two weeks, you must notify us of cancellation at least two weeks prior;For stays of three weeks, you must notify us of cancellation at least three weeks prior;For stays of one month, you must notify us of cancellation at least one month prior;Depending on the circumstances, late cancellation will forfeit a minimum of 3 day’s, and a maximum of one week’s, rental fee.
- We reserve the right to cancel at any time, given reasonable cause (e.g., bad weather, etc.)
- We reserve the right to send any resident home who is not abiding by the farm rules (see below).
- We accept reservations on a first come, first served basis. Please read “farm rules,” below, before making a reservation.
- Policy on Smoking, Drinking, Drug Use: No drug use or heavy drinking. No smoking inside. Smoking is permitted outside, as long as you do so 10 or more feet from the buildings.
- Accessibility: Neither rental is handicap accessible but may be accessible to persons with limited mobility (please inquire). Be aware that the walkways to the rentals are made of stone and uneven.
- Water: Please bring your own bottled water or use the water distiller in the rental. Tap water is from a well and is unfiltered, though it is drinkable.
- Food & Beverages: We do not provide food or beverages. We are very close to major shopping areas.
- Amenities: The rentals offer a full-sized refrigerator, stove, microwave, toaster oven, and coffee maker in the Cottage, as well as a supply of cookware, utensils, dishes, linens, etc.
- Cleaning Up: Please clean up after yourself. This helps us keep costs down. We try our best, but are not perfect housekeepers (i.e., this is not the Hilton)–sometimes there will be dust on shelves etc. Please put things back (chairs, books, etc.) where you found them. If you use the bed or shower, please leave sheets or towels in a pile on the bathroom floor. Once a week, on Sunday night, you take the apartment’s garbage can and recycling bin to the roadside for next-day pick-up at the farm gates.
- Electronics: Free wifi is provided, as well as a smart TV. (The Cottage also has a blue-tooth sound system). We do not provide a computer or printer.
- Dust and Old Things: This is an old farm with old furniture and many things that don’t work perfectly. That said, we regularly maintain all facilities and repair all appliances as needed.
- Wildlife: There is a lot of wildlife on the farm some of which many people don’t like, including mice, snakes, bats, hawks, owls, fox, and deer. Although we try to prevent it, mice do at times get into the buildings, but so far never in the Cottage.
- Dogs and Cats: We have dogs and cats on the property, some of which live in the farmhouse, and some of which live outside (barn cats). Under no circumstances are they to be allowed inside the rentals. You are free to pet them outside.
- Barn Cats: Please respect the barn cats, allowing them their space. Some of them are friendly and others are fearful of strangers.
- Visitors: guests must leave by 9:00 PM. No overnight visitors. No exceptions.
- No parties, no events allowed. We are not licensed or insured for gatherings in our residences.
- Noise: We expect that the visitors will respect the quiet of the farm, and will not play loud music. However, understand that this is a working farm. The farm owners may be working on the property at any time and you may hear tractors, mowers, power tools, etc.
- The Grounds: You are free to walk the grounds at your leisure but understand that farm terrain can be rough–with uneven ground, holes, rocks, roots, vines, animal burrows, poison ivy and other obstacles. This is why Good Contrivance Farm is a heels-free walking zone. No high heels. The farm can be a dirty place, and there are many thorny plants on the property. Please dress appropriately. Guests must wear sensible shoes when walking the property–no heels or bare feet.
- Temperature: The rentals have an air-conditioner/heat pump, as well as a heater in the bathroom. Unless the weather is extremely hot or extremely cold, you should be fairly comfortable.
- Farm Buildings and Machinery: Please do not touch any farm machinery (very dangerous!) and do not enter any sheds or buildings without our accompaniment, other than the barn in which the apartment is housed. Tours of the farm buildings and/or the farmhouse may be arranged.
- Property Lines: Please note that our property is six acres enclosed by a fence. Nobody is allowed to enter the surrounding farmland outside the fence, as it belongs to someone else.
- Guests must contact the owners asap if something in the apartment breaks or malfunctions.
- The owners have the right of entry into the apartment in event of emergencies.
- Vegetables and Flowers: Guests must not collect flowers, eggs or food from the vegetable garden or food-bearing plants without permission from the owners.
- Parking is available in the front lot. Please do not block the farm lane or access for other drivers.
- Unforeseen delays: we are not responsible for refunds due to delays caused by traffic; please plan your trip accordingly–both Baltimore and DC beltways are notorious for bad traffic.